General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Field Finance Manager, the Senior Finance Officer- Accounting will assist the Northeast Nigeria Programs to ensure the accuracy and completeness of accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle and the routine daily accounting tasks and payment.
- The Deputy Finance Manager – Accounting will assist in review and analyze records, reports, financial statements and management practices to ensure adequate internal controls are in place to mitigate risks in compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
Essential Job Functions
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
Finance and Accounting Management:
- Assist in perform financial reviews and post into the general ledger
- Prepare month end balance sheet account reconciliations for Maiduguri and other deep field offices.
- Coordinate the preparation and ensure the on-time submission of the monthly/quarterly/year-end reporting packages to Abuja, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledgers, and all supporting documentation in all deep field offices of Maiduguri.
- Assist in the training and support of the finance officers in field offices, including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
- Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from sub-offices; prepare consolidated country cash flow requests to Abuja.
- Plan and implement systems for financial operations in both the MDG offices and deep field offices in accordance with the mercy Corps Field Finance Manual and donor regulations, including systems for Cash Flow management budgeting, consolidation of accounting information, internal controls, financial reporting, financial record-Keeping, grant management and compliance
- Assist the Field Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Assist the Field Finance Manager to enhance the efficient of existing control systems.
- Ensure distribution lists, handover notices, etc. for all program related activities are verified, reconciled and archived properly.
- Assist in developing and maintaining compliance checklist for all grants and ensuring the grants are closed smoothly and all donor’s requirement are met.
- In addition, provide leadership in keeping track of host government compliance requirements for all offices.
- Work with the Finance Manager and other staff to develop Standard Operating Procedures for accounting.
- Lead the team effort in terms of developing and archiving documents.
- Assist in preparation of budget.
- Assist in provide monthly management reports to Program Managers and Directors, including expenditures by cost center/project, subgrantee reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Four or more years of finance experience is required.
- Four years’ experience in finance and/or accounting with NGO or bank at mid/senior management levels is required.
- A university degree in finance, accounting or equivalent is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Attribute
- Strong budgeting and accounting skills.
- Understanding of major international donor (EU, US) rules.
- Strong analytical skills coupled with a solid understanding of grants management rules.
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Knowledge of Hausa.
- Candidate must be willing to travel and work throughout Northeast Nigeria (Dikwa, Damboa, Ngala and Gowza)
Financial Planning-Advising, Financial Analysis-Research-Reporting
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00025
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- In particular, the successful candidate will be willing to travel to locations such as Damboa, Dikwa, Ngala, Gozwa and other LGAs of Northeast programs based on the needs of the Mercy Corps program. This will mean sometimes staying and working in stressful environments with very basic living conditions, strictly following security protocols at all times and sometimes working long and irregular hours).
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.