- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer in Maiduguri, the Finance and Compliance Officer will assist in the accounting and documentation of all financial transactions in timely and accurate manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in the financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders and payment requests to ensure compliance with MC policies and procedures and project budgets.
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly cash flow projections
- Maintain the bank and cash files, ensuring that all information is properly filed and updated
- Record in the in financial review of transaction entered into the Navigator.
- Ensure all advances are tracked and cleared on time.
- Manage the archiving of all financial documents and follow up with staff for any missing documents.
- Assist in managing month end accounting close process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger and supporting documentations
- Ensure the petty cash count performed on time (weekly and monthly).
- Assist with month end balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliations.
- Assist in maintaining the lease and rental agreements file and prepare monthly amortization entries of prepaid accounts
- Assist in the training of support staff on Finance related matters and give any financial operational support needed.
- Assist and ensuring all payments needs further documentation such handover note to the communities, signed beneficiaries list, etc. are tracked.
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Deploy to the other field offices when needs are arise.
- In charge of program vouchers reconciliations and payments.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Senior Finance Officer- MDG
- Works Directly With: All operational and program team of South Borno.
- Desired: Knowledge of Hausa.
- Three or more years of finance experience, including budgeting and grant management or auditing.
- Three years’ experience in the Finance Department of a non-governmental organization.
- Prior experience with computerized general ledger software.
- A university Degree in Finance, Accounting or a related business field is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Attribute
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and Access.
- Strong analytical skills coupled with a solid understanding of financial and procurement systems; Prior auditing experience is considered a plus.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
Financial Planning-Advising, Financial Analysis-Research-Reporting
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00026
Location: Gwoza, Borno
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.